Learn to Swim Series
This series is designed for those who start to learn to swim at primary school, i.e. the rising 5’s to 8 years old group.
Pupils progress through four levels – Octopus, Goldfish, Angelfish and Shark. Within each of these levels there are three awards.
On completion of Level 4, pupils will be able to:
- Swim at least 100 metres on their front and back
- Perform all four competition strokes
- Perform an additional two strokes
- Swim in a t-shirt and shorts
- Perform rescue and survival skills
- Perform a competitive dive from the poolside
- Show an understanding of their own ability and basic water safety
Other badges are available:
- The Distance Series comprises a range of awards that reward distance and stamina over distances from 5 metres to 5,000 metres and can be used as additional incentives throughout The ILS Learn to Swim Programme.
- The Kingfisher Series of 3 awards develops diving skills. It can be used to complement pupil’s activities during awards from Shark 1 onwards.
- The Seal Series comprises 4 awards covering personal survival skills. It is recommended that this series is only undertaken by pupils who have completed the Shark Series Level 4.
- The Beaver Series of 5 awards develops watermanship skills and leads into water polo and synchronised swimming activities.
- The Otter Series introduce an understanding of anatomy and physiology and basic First Aid Skills in 4 awards; it is suitable to use for pupils who are at Key Stage 2 up.